A decade or so ago, my Porter-Gaud colleague Jimmy Owens turned me on to a recipe whose only prep was pouring Picante sauce over chicken breasts. My sons dubbed the dish “Jimmy-O Chicken.” Over the years, however, I’ve made so many changes to the recipe that I now call it my own, “Rusty-O Chicken,” the O in honor of both Jimmy and the recipe’s Mexican flavoring.
It takes only ten minutes max prep, and is, as Cousin Minnie would say, “DEE-licious,” so Dear Readers, here it is.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut four chicken breasts (I use scissors) into hunks that are a bit bigger than bite-sized and coat them with chicken taco seasoning.
3. Pour a complete bottle of Picante sauce over the nuggets.
4. After draining a can of black beans, dump it on top of the Picante sauce.
Sprinkle a packet of Mexican cheese over the concoction.
6. If you choose, arrange black olives over the cheese.
7. Bake for about forty-five minutes or until bubbly.
8. Serve over white rice.